General ManagerJob Type: Full-Time
Job Start Date: 09/01/2023
Location: Toronto (with mostly remote working)
Hiring Organization Name: Fujiwara Dance Inventions
Hiring Organization Description:
Fujiwara Dance Inventions exists to dance into insight. Through the creation, performance and teaching of dance, we journey into the secrets of intuition, memory and dreams; to encounter and express the mysteries of human nature as they are manifest in the body, before words.
What makes Fujiwara’s dance work intriguing? It gently teases you in and surprises you with its imagery and intelligence. Artistic Director Denise Fujiwara asks questions and investigates them with instinct, heart and skillful rigour to create acclaimed dance works that move with images, words and music. The company has performed across Canada and on four continents in festivals, theatres, galleries and site-specific locations.
“To dance is to journey into the secrets of intuition, memory, dreams; to encounter and express the mysteries of human nature as they are manifest in the body, before words. I believe in the ability of art to move people, to change people, to put people in touch with the best part of their humanity, to remind people of the complexity of their humanity and to cultivate compassion.” – Denise Fujiwara
Fujiwara Dance Inventions is looking for a General Manager to join our team. Experience in the field of performing arts business management is an important requisite, as is strong organizational, financial and people skills. Based on the scale of our operations, this is a part-time position.
The General Manager plays a key role in Fujiwara Dance Inventions, running its operations and working with the Artistic Director to facilitate the realization of the Company’s artistic vision. Based on the scale of our operations, this is a part-time position.
The responsibilities of the General Manager will include:
• Working with the Artistic Director to ensure the effective realization of the artistic direction;
• Managing the requirements of creation projects, production, touring and teaching;
• Developing and building opportunities and relationships for the Company in the areas of tour marketing, promotion and revenue development;
• Financial management;
• Managing and extending the Company’s relationships with presenters, funding bodies, donors and other stakeholders;
• Working with the Company’s Board of Directors to manage fundraising initiatives and ensure that proper governance is realized;
• Assuming oversight for the administration of the company including marketing, electronic and social media, and fundraising opportunities.
PLANNING & OPERATIONS
• Provide operational planning to deliver on the artistic vision of Fujiwara Dance Inventions and on the achievement of its long- and short-term goals;
• In collaboration with the Artistic Director, develop and manage the organization’s critical path and project timelines in support of the Company’s artistic plans and goals;
• Be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the organization, with a focus on financial management, project development and communications;
• Be responsible for the general administration, operations, database management, online company profile and general communications.
FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION
• Work with the Artistic Director to develop the annual financial planning and budgeting cycle;
• Be responsible for the day-to-day financial operations of the organization, including banking and petty cash; box office reconciliations; and artist, venue, and other stakeholder settlements;
• Manage the annual audit process and preparation of financial statements in collaboration with the external Auditor and Bookkeeper. Ensure financial compliance in all areas of tax and charitable returns, insurance policies, and all applicable financial reporting requirements;
• Manage the Board meeting schedule; attend and minute Board meetings as required; and maintain Board documents. Perform such other activities as may be requested by the Board from time to time.
• Work with Artistic Director to develop shows, productions, workshops, presenting partnerships, tours and other collaborations;
• Manage contracts, schedules and payment with artists, technical crew and other project personnel;
• Work with venues on contracts, FOH and box office;
• Work with Artistic Director on scheduling and hiring.
FUNDRAISING & DEVELOPMENT
• With the Artistic Director and Board, develop and administer the organization’s fundraising and development strategy, including private and public fundraising, sponsorship, donor relationships and grant applications;
• Manage revenue-generating opportunities, development of proposals;
• In collaboration with the Artistic Director, manage ongoing relationships with all government, foundation, corporate, and private funders.
PEOPLE AND ORGANIZATIONAL CULTURE
It is expected that the General Manager will:
• Communicate respectfully and skillfully with all associated with the company, including contracted artists, technical crew, students, volunteers, Board members, donors, funders, presenters, etc.;
• Fujiwara Dance Inventions promotes equal opportunity. It prohibits discrimination and harassment based on race, colour, religion or belief, sexuality, gender expression, ability, family or parental status or any other legally protected grounds.
12 month contract position, renewable.
January 9, 2023
Hours The scale of operations requires a part-time General Manager.
The hours average out to approximately 30 hours/week over the year, but the distribution of those hours vary with the company’s operational plan and schedule.
The fee range for this position is $52,000 to $60,000 per annum, commensurate with experience.
Flexible work hours, ability to work remotely much of the time.
Since the majority of Fujiwara Dance Inventions’ activities take place in Toronto, the successful candidate must either be based in Toronto or be willing to travel to Toronto when necessary for performances, meetings and other events. A Driver’s License and access to a vehicle is an asset.
Artistic Director and Executive, Board of Directors
WHAT THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL BRING TO THE ROLE
Experience, Qualifications & Attributes
We are looking for a General Manager with at least 3-5 years of related professional experience and skills that align to this profile:
• Practical experience in operational and performing arts business management or applicable transferable experience. Experience in producing live theatre is a strong asset;
• Strong strategic perspective, detail-oriented, ability to handle concurrent projects and a strong track record of fulfilling commitments and meeting deadlines;
• Strong financial management skills (including budgeting, tracking, financial statements and reporting);
• Proven ability to create and implement financial resource strategies, including earned revenue targeting, grant writing/reporting, sponsorship proposals, foundation applications, etc.;
• Ability to communicate skillfully in board reporting, reports to funders and proposal and grant applications, as well as acting as spokesperson for the company when needed;
• People management skills, with ability to deal with a wide variety of situations;
• Commitment to apply knowledge of laws, regulations and ethical principles relevant to leading a not-for-profit entity.
$52,000 – $60,000 / yearHow to Apply:
To apply, please write us a letter sharing your motivations for taking on this position. Why do you think you will be a strong General Manager for Fujiwara Dance Inventions? Please submit a CV in PDF format and include 2 references who can speak to your relevant job experience.
Qualified applicants may apply to email@example.com by Friday, November 18, 2022 at 5:00 pm ET.
For more detailed information on Fujiwara Dance Inventions, please visit www.fujiwaradance.com. For any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by email. Interviews will take place via digital interface.Application Deadline: 18/11/2022
Application contact Information: