Participate in building a positive future for dance by activating your membership! Individual members include dancers, choreographers, dance teachers, dance researchers and writers, designers, and dance professionals contributing to dance in a non-artistic capacity, including managers, producers, agents, arts administrators and archivists.
People working in all dance forms, genres, and specializations are invited to become members. We recognize the many ways dance is practiced, including traditions and expressions based on performance in various settings, explorations, media and digital formats, and multi-disciplinary and interdisciplinary ways. We welcome you to self - identify in the category that resonates most with you. Check out our FAQ's or email firstname.lastname@example.org for any further questions!
MEMBER BENEFITS OVERVIEW
|IndividualsNon-Affiliated ($45)Affiliated Professionals ($30) Affiliated Artists ($20)||Students ($10)||Supporting Individuals ($10)|
|Access to National Health Insurance Arts & Entertainment Plan™ by AFBS. This comprehensive health, drug, dental and life insurance is created specifically for artists. Premiums start at $75/month, aeplan.ca.||Y||N||N|
|Discount to The Dance Current magazine subscription, $35 (regular $40 + tax)||Y||Y||Y|
|Free job postings (regular $40 for non-members) Go tohttps://www.cda-acd.ca/submit-a-job-posting/||Y||Y||N|
|Discounted rates on CDA conferences & special events||Y||Y||Y|
|Opportunity to become a member at pay-what-you-can rates, to be eligible for member discounts and resources without financial barrier||Y||Y||Y|
|Tools and resources to support your own advocacy||Y||Y||Y|
|Research sharing on arts sector data and government updates||Y||Y||Y|
|CDA conveys perspectives and concerns from members to federal decision-makers||Y||Y||Y|
|Travel 0-1 visa support letters *some parameters apply||Y||N||N|
|SHARING & LEARNING|
|Member newsletters, including sector updates like federal policy and funding||Y||Y||Y|
|Access to gatherings and learning sessions||Y||Y||Y|
|Voting rights at CDA Annual General Meeting||Y||N||N|
|Membership in a Standing Council relevant to your area of practice||Y||Y||Y|
- Members of the Canadian Dance Assembly are eligible to apply for personal health insurance created specifically for Canadian artists, dancers, and performers.
- The Arts Entertainment Plan® is a simple way to assist people in managing health care costs. Get the coverage you need – minus the confusion. It’s affordable, exclusive to the artistic community and there are no medical questionnaires – so you won’t be denied access because of pre-existing conditions – its guaranteed acceptance!
- The plan has two options to choose from: Standard and Comprehensive
- Both options offer the same core benefit categories:
- Dental Care
- Prescription Drug Benefit
- Extended Health Care (vision care, hospital rooms, medical equipment, massage etc…)
- Travel Emergency Medical
- Group Term Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- The Member and Family Assistance Program (MFAP)
- Coverage is available for individuals and families, there’s a convenient monthly payment option and premiums may be tax deductible.
- The Arts & Entertainment Plan is a service of Actra Fraternal Benefits Society (AFBS), A Not for Profit Insurer.
Make sure your CDA membership is current, then simply head over to aeplan.ca to select your plan and follow the steps to apply!
Travel 0-1 Visa Letters
“The O-1 non-immigrant visa is for the individual who possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who has a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and has been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements.” Continue reading HERE
CDA can assist Canadian dancers wishing to work in the United States with a support letter attesting to the artist’s status as a professional dancer. Artists must submit their resume, bio and demo reel link (if available) to the CDA for consideration. Upon receipt of a request, the CDA will provide the letter within 2-3 weeks. Please allow for this turnaround time.
We suggest working with your lawyer to draft your visa application. Please contact us email@example.com to request a letter.
In order to support everyone in our community particularly through these difficult times, we are offering a NEW pay-what-you-can option for the second year July 1 2021 – June 30 2022 (suggested $5+ individuals, $40+ organizations).
If you are in a position to pay in full, please do so and we thank you for your support to continue our work and subsidize other members.
If you are experiencing financial barriers of any kind, please take the support you need and we thank you for your participation in our community.
any dance professional or artist
|Affiliated* Dance Professional|
non-artistic professional in dance (i.e. producers, presenters, administrators, curators, managers, agents, cultural workers, critics, facilitators)
|Affiliated* Dance Artist|
artistic individual (i.e. choreographer, dancer, designer, interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary artist)
currently enrolled in an educational program in the field of dance
|Individual Supporting member (non-voting)|
anyone who wishes to support CDA who is not a dance artist or professional
|NEW pay-what-you-can option (suggested $5+)|
Select any category of membership, and choose your own fee
* Affiliated membership requires that you are an active member of a regional dance service organization. We use the honour system for these affiliated rates, thank you!
- Canadian Alliance of Dance Artists – East (CADA/East)
- Canadian Alliance of Dance Artists – West (CADA/West)
NOTE: We hold a joint membership agreement with CADA/East and CADA/West. If you join either of those organizations as an individual, you automatically become a member with CDA, no further action required!
- The Dance Centre
- Alberta Dance Alliance
- Dance Saskatchewan
- Dance Manitoba
- Dance Ontario
- Dance Nova Scotia
- Dancer Transition Resource Centre (DTRC)
- Regroupement québécois de la danse RQD
- Canadian Network of Dance Presenters/CanDance
- Other – if you are a member of another dance service organization we have missed, please name it here on your application form.
The Canadian Dance Assembly welcomes members from all areas of dance practice. The CDA generally recognizes the Canada Council for the Arts’ definition of professional eligibility.
Dance Artists include anyone in an artistic role in the field of dance: dancers, choreographers, dance teachers, designers, accompanists, rehearsal directors and dance writers (including interdisciplinary artists). They also:
- have specialized training in their field (not necessarily in academic institutions)
- are recognized as a professional/pre-professional by your peers (working in the same artistic tradition)
- are committed to devoting more time to artistic activity, if possible financially
- have a history of public presentation or publication
Dance Professionals working in a non-artistic capacity in the dance field include agents, managers, animators, facilitators, critics, curators, cultural workers, producers, presenters, arts administrators, dance therapists, curators, and archivists. They also:
- have training in their field (not necessarily in academic institutions)
- self-identify with one of the types of professionals listed
- be recognized as a professional/pre-professional by your peers (working in the same artistic tradition)
- have a history of working on professional dance projects
Student Members are currently participating in an educational program in the field of dance, or were enrolled during the current CDA membership year.
- This includes learning through educational institutes, through direct mentorship, or any form of learning recognized in your form of dance.
- If you are currently a student but also have experience as a Dance Artist or Dance Professional, you are welcome to become a member in the category of your choosing.
Supporting Members are anyone who does not identify with the Artist, Professional, or Student categories above are welcome to join our network as a supporter.
- This may include dance enthusiasts, audiences, other arts professionals or non-profit workers not directly working in dance. Thank you for your support!