Call for choreographers for Dusk Dances 2023Job Type: Contract
Job Start Date: 30/07/2023
Location: Withrow Park
City: Toronto, ON
Hiring Organization Name: Dusk Dances
Hiring Organization Description:
Dusk Dances, founded in 1993, is an outdoor festival that brings dance from various communities of practice to public parks. As dusk descends, a theatrical host leads the audience to an array of unique dance pieces that unfold in different areas of the park.
Choreographers are invited to perform ten-minute pieces inspired by the park’s natural environment. Audiences are invited on a pay-what-you-can basis to an innovative site-specific festival, which is not only an artistic event but a social and cultural one as well. 2023 will mark Dusk Dances’ 29th season and the very last season with Sylvie Bouchard as Festival Director.
Dusk Dances is inviting proposals for dance works to be presented at Dusk Dances 2023 at Withrow Park in Toronto from July 30 – August 6, 2023.
We are inviting unique proposals of solos, duets and trios, for a remount / re-imagination / adaptation of an already existing dance work. Applications for commissioned works, or for new works still-in-development, will not be considered at this time. Dusk Dances is looking for dance works that are ten (10) minutes in length.
Dusk Dances welcomes and will prioritize hiring choreographers and artists who are Indigenous, Black, persons of colour, persons of any sexual orientation, any gender identity or gender expression, persons with visible and/or invisible disabilities, persons from diverse communities of practice and from language minority communities.
Only artists and companies from Toronto and the GTA are eligible to apply – no accommodation or per-diem will be provided.
Two (2) dance works (solos, duets and trios only) will be selected for Dusk Dances 2023 at Withrow Park by Festival Director Sylvie Bouchard, with Supporting Curator Sofi Gudiño, who was Dusk Dances’ Lead Curator in 2022.
Please note that the total number of performers (3 maximum) must include all artists who are performing live in the work (e.g. musicians etc.).Requirement:
– applicants must be a professional dance artist / company that can legally work in Canada;
– applicants and their performers must be available for all the performances (from Sunday, July 30 to Sunday, August 6, 2023), as well as for a technical rehearsal on Saturday, July 29, 2023. Performances commence at 7pm.
*Dusk Dances will not accept proposals from students currently enrolled in a post-secondary college, university, or conservatory institution.
*Decisions will be made by March 30, 2023 at the latest.
In order to apply, please provide the following information:
– contact information (name, address, phone, email, website);
– a biography (maximum 350 words), which includes information about your choreographic experience (recent works, residencies, commissions, awards, etc.);
– the title of the proposed work and a one-paragraph piece description;
– the length of the proposed work (must be between 9 and 11 minutes in length);*
*Please note that the proposed work can be an excerpt from a longer work.
– a paragraph regarding your previous experience with creating site-specific works, highlighting any outdoor presentations. If you do not have previous experience with creating site-specific / outdoor works, tell us about why you are interested in site-specific / outdoor presentations;
– a brief statement, describing your interest in adapting this proposed work for a 10-minute presentation in an outdoor setting, and how you will accomplish this;
– an online link to watch a full-version of the work you are proposing.*
*If you are proposing an excerpt of a longer work, please submit the full-length video, and identify the section (s) that you plan to remount (include time-code markers).
*Please do not include additional video documentation for other choreographic works – we will only view video of your proposed work.
Dusk Dances will provide:
– a presentation fee that covers rehearsals, a performance fee for the artists and a fee to the choreographer; *
– all logistics for the festival, including the venue;
– technical personnel and equipment (including microphones and sound systems);
– marketing and publicity (posters, postcards, newsletters, social media, house programs).
*For reference, Dusk Dances pays a fee of $3,500 for a solo, $5,500 for a duet and $7,500 for a trio. These fees include the remount and the presentation of the work.
Kindly send your application to Marketa Tokova at firstname.lastname@example.org (with “Call for Choreographers 2023” in the subject line) by January 5, 2023 at 11:59pm. Applications must be submitted as one (1) PDF file.Application Deadline: 05/01/2023
Application contact Information:
For more information, please visit: